Amnesty for People Staying Illegally in the TRNC

From 4 November 2021 there will be an amnesty for people who are staying in the TRNC illegally or who have been fined for overstaying their visa or residency permit.
People in this situation can apply within 90 days (3 months) using the form on the Ministry of Interior Home Page.  


Anyone wishing to take advantage of the Amnesty will be required to pay 1 x gross minimum wage (4970tl).  There is no requirement to leave the country while the Amnesty process is being progressed.  Once the payment has been accepted the applicant will be able to obtain a 60 day visa, during this visa period, the person should seek to obtain one of the following legal permits, such as Residence Permit, Student Permit, Work Permit, Business Establishment Permit or Permission to Do Business. 

Any foreign nationals, including students are eligible for the amnesty.  Those previously deported from the TRNC because of immigration permits and those have been fined and are outside of the TRNC will be able to benefit from this law.

Spouses of TRNC Citizens, Spouses of people with Residence Permits, Student Permits, Work Permits, Business Establishment Permits or Permission to Do Business in the TRNC, as well as unmarried children aged <25 years and children with disabilities >18 years old will be able to avoid fines and obtain a visa for 60 days by paying the gross monthly minimum wage, without the condition of seeking employment or obtaining prior permission from an employer.

To Apply:
Click on the application, which looks very like the Residency application form – check it is headed Immigration Amnesty for Foreigners and choose the ‘Şimdi kayıt ol / Sign Up Now’ option and then complete the form as requested.


Source: Resmi Gazete 4.11.21

09.09 TRNC Interior Ministry Immigration Department announces extension of application time for people to apply for residency or a work permit. This applies to people who had valid permission to be here prior to March 13, and entered the country before September 10. These individuals have now been granted a 30 day extension, from September 10 to October 10 (dates included) and will not be penalised for applying during this period.

Entry to and exit from the TRNC is only via approved ports and borders with a valid passport or travel certificate.

Passport Validity Periods 

⦁    Citizens of countries without an embassy, consulate or representation, and citizens of non-EU countries must have a valid passport which expires more than 6 months after the date of departure from the TRNC.
⦁    Citizens of countries with an embassy, consulate or representation in the TRNC and citizens of the European Union countries must have a valid passport which expires more than 2 months after the date of departure from the TRNC 
⦁    Work permit Visa – people coming to the country with pre-permission (in accordance with the Law on The Leave of Work of Foreigners) can obtain a 30 days visa. This visa can only be issued to citizens of the country without a TRNC embassy, consulate or other representation who have a valid passport which expires more than 2 months after the date of departure from the TRNC 
⦁    Residence permits can be issued for a period up to 60 days before the expiry date of the passport.


Visa Length of Stay

⦁    Foreigners who have a valid residence permit for the TRNC or residence permit exemption certificate do not require a visa upon entry to the TRNC.
⦁    Your stay in TRNC with a visa cannot exceed 90 days at a time and you cannot stay more than 90 days in every rolling 180 days.
⦁    Foreigners will normally be issued with a 30 day visa, however this can be extended to a maximum visa of 90 days at border crossings and ports, if you can show you will leave the TRNC within the visa period and fulfil the relevant conditions explained below.
⦁    Citizens of the Republic of Armenia, the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Arab Republic of Syria must obtain a visa from the TRNC Representative Offices in their country, stating the purpose of the visit before arrival in the TRNC.

Foreigners applying for visas may be asked for information or documents in respect of your request to enter the country, at entry ports by the Immigration Officer. The Officer may wish to carry out comprehensive checks.

Note: Due to Covid-19, anyone who entered the country on a tourist visa will not be penalised for overstaying provided they either leave by October 10, 2020 or apply for temporary residency by that date.

Visa Types and Durations  


Tourism Visa


⦁    Any person entering the country for tourist purposes, including those staying at hotel or vacation accommodation (including people renting an apartment/villa), may be issued with a visa for up to 30 days.  If you present a paid booking certificate/receipt for your accommodation up to 90 days can be given.
⦁    Any person wishing to come and stay at a relative's house for a family/relative visit may be issued with a visa for up to 60 days, proof of the stay, such as an invitation letter is required.
⦁    Any person coming for official visits, business interviews, conferences, seminars, meetings, festivals, fairs, exhibitions, sporting events, cultural and artistic events, health tourism and similar purposes may be issued with a visa for up to 90 days.

Working Permit Visa


In accordance with the Foreign Employment Permits Act, persons who have come to the country with a preliminary permit are given a visa for a period of 30 days. Citizens of countries without a TRNC embassy, consulate or other representation must have a passport with at least 2 years before expiry of their passport on entry to the TRNC.

Business Establishment Visa


Foreigners coming to the country of start a business are given a 30 day visa provided they can show they have sufficient capital to establish a business.

Residence Permit Visa


The following types of visas may be issued to foreigners entering the country who plan to apply for a residence permit.

⦁    Visa for Family Residence Permit Application: if you are planning to apply for a family residence permit a visa for up to 90 days can be granted on arrival.
⦁    Visa due to Ownership of Immovable Property: If you show a title deed (Kocan) indicating you own a property a visa of up to 90 days can be issued.
⦁    Visa for Applying for Student Residence Permit: a 60 day visa can be issued on arrival if you provide a student registration or pre-registration certificate.
⦁    Judicial and Administrative Visa: if you come to the country upon the request or decisions of judicial or administrative authorities a visa for the term of your duty may be granted 
⦁    Visa for Scientific Research: if you come to the country for scientific research purposes a visa for the duration of the research may be granted.
⦁    Visa for Graduates from TRNC Universities: Students who have studied and graduated from any of the two-year higher education programs or have studied at least 3 years in any of the four-year higher education programs in the TRNC can be granted a visa valid for 30 days.

Internship, Course, Change program, In-Service Education Visa


Foreigners coming to the country for internships, courses, student exchange programs and in-service training can be granted a visa of up to 90 days if they provide documentary evidence.

Source: KKTC Içişleri Bakanlığı / TRNC Ministry of Interior


Please avoid abusive or defamatory comments, be respectful of other people and their opinions. Admin reserves the right to delete certain comments. If you are aware of offensive or malicious comments and/or behaviour, please notify admin through the website contact form.